Iterable allows you to upload CSV files of subscribers and their contact properties into the system. It's a great way to create new static lists or add users into the system, without needing the help of an engineer.
Before importing a new CSV file, pay attention to these best practices to avoid data attribution or malformation errors.
Warning: If you are creating user profile fields by using this upload tool, the fields are cast as strings by default if the field is new; this is permanent in format and data type. If you are not sure you’d like to change the format for this field name later, do not include that column in your CSV file. Hiding unwanted fields is possible, but merging, deleting, and editing are not.
CSV uploads are all automatically cast as String types if they do not already exist in your project.
If there are any fields you wouldn’t like to be a string, and would prefer the data type be Long, Double, Date, Boolean, etc. make sure they are originally cast through another method (such as an API call).
Arrays and Objects can not be created or edited via CSV List Import. These must always be created or updated via the API or Segment.
- Use a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel to create your CSV file.
- Make sure the file is in CSV format. XLS or XLSX files cannot be uploaded.
- The first row of your CSV file should contain your contact properties in the column headers, such as firstName, lastName, etc.
- Note that contact properties are case and space sensitive. As a result, firstName, first name and firstname can all exist as completely different properties. To make sure you do not upload multiple properties for the same field, first export a list out of Iterable to see the existing fields. Then, create your CSV with the existing fields as headers.
- Make sure you do not have any duplicate or empty headers.
- Make sure there is only 1 column labeled email and that the email addresses in that column are valid.
- Misspelled and malformatted emails (e.g. email@example.com) will not be uploaded.
- Make sure all corresponding data is attributed to the right user. If you delete a cell by accident, all data may be shifted and may be attributed to the wrong user. For example, a person may have the wrong last name on his/her profile.
To import a CSV list, go to Users--> Import List on the left side menu.