Iterable supports AMP for Email, which allows you to send interactive, app-like messages that help users accomplish meaningful tasks right from their inboxes—no linking out to external web pages required.
In this article
AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) is a set of standards and open source web components introduced by Google, designed to improve the experience of mobile web browsing by making page load times nearly instantaneous.
AMP for Email brings a subset of the AMP web components and standards to email, allowing a historically static medium to provide interactive, secure, data-driven experiences.
For example, AMP emails can include forms, carousels, accordions, sidebars, timestamps and responsive layouts, and the data included in these messages can update in real-time each time they're opened.
When is AMP for Email useful?
AMP for Email has a wide variety of potential applications. For example, AMP emails can allow users to:
- Look at promotional content, flipping through a carousel of on-sale items
- Respond to a discussion thread by filling in a form and submitting it
- Vote on a poll
- Manage subscription preferences at a granular level
- View real-time information about order shipments, flights, events, purchases, etc. This information can update each time the email is opened.
To get a feel for the types of experiences enabled by AMP for Email, take a look at the Gmail AMP for Email Playground.
Email providers, browsers and clients
According to the AMP for Email homepage, the following email services can receive and display AMP emails (however, for some of these services, support may be in early beta):
- As a spam prevention and security measure, these providers generally require you to register all email addresses from which you will send AMP email. Similarly, you may need to enable a mailbox setting before you can view AMP content.
- Be sure to click the above links to read the latest information about the level of AMP for Email support provided by these email services, since it may vary over time.
What about security?
AMP for Email has several built-in, security-enhancing features:
- Only a subset of AMP components can be used in AMP emails
- Ad components are not allowed
- Third-party features / scripts are not allowed
Additionally, email providers that support AMP generally have their own security requirements. For example, Gmail's Amp for Email Security Requirements specify that the email must, among other things, pass DKIM and SPF authentication.
AMP for Email and Iterable
To send an AMP email message from Iterable:
Register your sending address with the email providers to which you'll be sending AMP emails. For example, to learn how to send AMP email messages to Gmail, read Tutorial: Configuring Iterable to Send AMP Email to Gmail.
Design an AMP email message, using tools such as:
Use Iterable to create and send an email campaign as usual. The template editor allows you to specify three types of content for your email:
- Plain text content
- HTML content
- AMP for Email HTML
Users whose email provider and client or browser support AMP for Email will see the AMP email content, and other users will see the HTML or plain text content.
You can use Iterable to track the results of your AMP email campaigns as normal.
Want to learn more?
For more information about some of the topics in this article, check out these resources:
- AMP for Email
- AMP for Email announcement
- AMP for Email Playground
- AMP for Email Validator
- (YouTube) What's New in AMP for Email
- Tools to help you build AMP emails.
- AMP Email Guides & Tutorials
- AMP for Gmail
- AMP for Gmail - Registration Guidelines
- AMP for Gmail - Supported Browsers
- Gmail AMP for Email Playground.
- Outlook.com Sender Registration