This document describes how to use Send Time Optimization when sending an email or push notification from a workflow.
Send Time Optimization (STO) attempts to maximize a campaign's Email Open Rate (Unique Email Opens or Clicks / Total Emails Delivered) or Push Open Rate (Unique Pushes Opened / Total Pushes Delivered). To do this, it uses machine learning to analyze each recipient's historical engagement behavior (in the same Iterable project), and then chooses a send time when they're likely to open the message.
In a workflow, when a user enters a Send Email or Send Push node for which Send Time Optimization has been enabled, Iterable sends the message to that user at an optimized send time. Until the optimized send time arrives, the user remains in that workflow node.
For information about using Send Time Optimization with campaigns and experiments, read:
Table of contents
Currently, Send Time Optimization:
- Can be used with:
- Blast email campaigns (with or without a Send Time Optimization experiment)
- Workflow Send Email nodes (without a Send Time Optimization experiment)
- Blast push notification campaigns (without a Send Time Optimization experiment)
- Workflow Send Push nodes (without a Send Time Optimization experiment)
- Can only be used with marketing messages (not transactional).
- Can only optimize send times based on project-specific data (it does not analyze cross-project data for the same user).
- Can only select optimized send times aligned to the top of the hour.
- Can only use a 50/50 control/variation split for Send Time Optimization experiments (this is not adjustable).
- Does not guarantee higher engagement.
Additionally, note that:
- For users with insufficient historical project data from which to derive optimized send times, Iterable always sends campaigns at their configured send times.
- Iterable updates its Send Time Optimization machine learning models once per week, using the newest available data for each project (weighting recent data more heavily). Given the large number of projects in Iterable, all models are updated over the course of the week and not on any set schedule.
Enabling Send Time Optimization for a workflow campaign
To use Send Time Optimization with a Send Email or Send Push workflow node, follow these instructions:
Navigate to Messaging > Workflows.
Open an existing workflow or create a new one.
In Workflow Studio, drag a Send Email or Send Push action onto the canvas.
You can only configure Send Time Optimization for new Send Email or Send Push nodes. You cannot enable it for existing nodes. If you'd like to enable Send Time Optimization for an existing node, create a new one and swap it in.
Edit the Send Email or Send Push node by double-clicking on it.
Assign a Campaign Name to the node and apply any necessary Labels.
Enable the Send Time Optimization toggle.
Specify the maximum number of hours (between 6 and 24) after the campaign's configured send time—whether immediate or scheduled—that Send Time Optimization can send messages. Send Time Optimization optimizes send times at a one-hour granularity and sends messages at the top of the hour.
Select a template and click Update Node. On the Workflow Studio canvas, Send Email and Send Push nodes for which Send Time Optimization has been enabled are marked as Send Time Optimized and display the selected send window.
Save and enable the workflow as necessary.
- For any new Send Email or Send Push node, you can enable or disable Send Time Optimization up until you save the workflow.
- If you clone an existing Send Email or Send Push node, you can enable or disable Send Time Optimization in the clone until you save the workflow.
To monitor the results of your workflow, navigate to Messaging > Workflows and click on the name of the workflow. For more information about campaign metrics, read Workflow Analytics.