This document describes how to use STO for all of an email or push notification blast campaign's recipients (without a Send Time Optimization experiment).
Send Time Optimization (STO) attempts to maximize a campaign's Email Open Rate (Unique Email Opens or Clicks / Total Emails Delivered) or Push Open Rate (Unique Pushes Opened / Total Pushes Delivered). To do this, it uses machine learning to analyze each recipient's historical engagement behavior (in the same Iterable project), and then chooses a send time when they're likely to open the message.
There are two ways to use Send Time Optimization with an email or push notification blast campaign: for half of its recipients (using a Send Time Optimization experiment), or for all of its recipients (without a Send Time Optimization experiment).
For information about using Send Time Optimization with workflows and experiments, read:
Table of contents
Currently, Send Time Optimization:
- Can be used with:
- Blast email campaigns (with or without a Send Time Optimization experiment)
- Workflow Send Email nodes (without a Send Time Optimization experiment)
- Blast push notification campaigns (without a Send Time Optimization experiment)
- Workflow Send Push nodes (without a Send Time Optimization experiment)
- Can only be used with marketing messages (not transactional).
- Can only optimize send times based on project-specific data (it does not analyze cross-project data for the same user).
- Can only select optimized send times aligned to the top of the hour.
- Can only use a 50/50 control/variation split for Send Time Optimization experiments (this is not adjustable).
- Does not guarantee higher engagement.
Additionally, note that:
- For users with insufficient historical project data from which to derive optimized send times, Iterable always sends campaigns at their configured send times.
- Iterable updates its Send Time Optimization machine learning models once per week, using the newest available data for each project (weighting recent data more heavily). Given the large number of projects in Iterable, all models are updated over the course of the week and not on any set schedule.
To use Send Time Optimization for all of an email blast campaign's recipients, enable it on the campaign's Review & Launch screen before sending:
1. Create an email or push notification blast campaign
To create an email or push notification blast campaign, navigate to Messaging > Campaigns and click Create New Campaign. On the New Campaign Screen:
Specify a Campaign Name, choose whether to use a Custom Conversion Metric, and add Labels as necessary.
For Campaign Type, choose Blast.
For Message Medium, choose Email or Push.
Select the list to which you'd like to send the campaign.
Click Continue to Templates.
Select an existing template and click Continue to Design, or click Create a New Template.
On the Edit Template screen, configure your template as necessary.
Click Save & Continue to Review to navigate to the Review & Launch screen.
2. Enable Send Time Optimization and send (or schedule) the campaign
On the Review & Launch screen:
Enable the Send Time Optimization toggle:
If the toggle isn't available, it's because your Iterable project doesn't yet have enough historical engagement data to support the Send Time Optimization machine learning models.
Specify the maximum number of hours (between 6 and 24) after the campaign's configured send time (whether immediate or scheduled) that Send Time Optimization can send messages. Send Time Optimization optimizes send times at a one-hour granularity and sends messages at the top of the hour.
To send the campaign immediately, click Send Campaign Right Now.
To schedule the campaign for later or have it recur, click Schedule Campaign For Later. Specifying a recurrence pattern for an Send Time Optimization campaign causes each recurrence to use Send Time Optimization. However, Send Time Optimization experiments do not recur.
After a campaign begins to send, you cannot disable Send Time Optimization.
3. Monitor campaign results
To view the metrics related to a campaign, navigate to Messaging > Campaigns and click on the name of the campaign. For more information about campaign metrics, read Viewing Campaign-Level Metrics.
Since Send Time Optimization tries to optimize a campaign's Email Open Rate or Push Open Rate, this is a good metric to analyze when viewing campaign metrics.