This document describes how to use Iterable to send in-app messages. In-app messages can optionally make use of a mobile inbox, if you've enabled one in your app.
To learn more about in-app messages and Iterable's Mobile Inbox feature, read In-App Messages and Mobile Inbox.
Table of contents
- Setting up Iterable's mobile SDKs
- Configuring your apps to include Mobile Inbox
- Sending in-app message campaigns
- Sending in-app messages from workflows
- Further reading
Setting up Iterable's mobile SDKs
Apps can receive in-app messages without the SDKs, but using the SDK simplifies the implementation.
Configuring your apps to include Mobile Inbox
To add a mobile inbox to your app, have your mobile engineers follow the instructions in Setting up Mobile Inbox on iOS and Setting up Mobile Inbox on Android. These SDKs provide a default mobile inbox UI that can be customized and stylized as necessary.
Sending in-app message campaigns
To send in-app messages to your contacts, follow these instructions:
1. Create a campaign
First, create a new campaign:
Navigate to Messaging > Campaigns and click Create New Campaign.
Specify various campaign details:
Click Continue to Templates.
2. Select a base template for the campaign's content, or start from scratch
If there's an existing base template that you'd like to use as a starting point for your campaign, select it and click Continue to Design. Otherwise, click Create a New Template.
If you're not basing the campaign on an existing template, Iterable prompts you to select an editor. To learn about the differences between these editors, read Template Editors.
3. Configure the campaign's template
To set up the campaign's template, configure the options on the In-App Template and Advanced Options tabs. For more information, read Template Options for In-App Messages.
Then, use the editor to define the content and styling for your in-app message. When you are done, click Save Template.
4. Preview the in-app message
Once your mobile engineers have configured your app to display in-app messages, test the campaign by clicking Send Proof and selecting an option.
Iterable sends proofs to the people you specify, on all of the mobile apps associated with your Iterable project. For more information about proofs, read Sending Proofs.j
Alternatively, use the Preview With Data button, which renders the in-app message in the browser and resolves merge parameters with data from a user profile of your choosing. For more information, read Previewing Templates with Data.
When you are done previewing the template and making edits, click Save & Continue to Review.
5. Review and launch the campaign
On the campaign's Review & Launch screen:
- Send the campaign immediately by clicking Send Campaign Right Now.
- Schedule the campaign for later by clicking Schedule Campaign for Later.
Sending in-app messages from workflows
Follow these steps:
Navigate to Messaging > Workflows.
Select an existing workflow or click Create New Workflow to create a new one.
Set up up the workflow as necessary.
At the point in the workflow where you'd like to send an in-app message, drag a Send In-App node onto the workflow canvas and connect it to another node.
Configure the new node by double-clicking on it.
Provide a Campaign Name, select a custom conversion metric if necessary, and add Labels.
Select a template and click Update Node.
Alternatively, edit an existing template before selecting it:
- Right-click the name of a template and open it in a new browser tab.
- Edit the in-app message template as necessary.
- Click Save Template.
- Back in the original browser tab, close the workflow node.
- Double-click the Send In-App node to re-open it.
- Select the edited template and click Update Node.
Back on the workflow canvas, click Save.
Enable the workflow with the toggle in the upper-left corner of the workflow canvas.
To learn more about testing workflows, read Testing a Workflow.
To learn about in-app message and Mobile Inbox-related events captured by Iterable, read Events for In-App Messages and Mobile Inbox
- Template Options for In-App Messages
- In-App Messages and Mobile Inbox
- Events for In-App Messages and Mobile Inbox
- Iterable's iOS SDK
- Iterable's Android SDK
- Iterable's React Native SDK
- In-App Messages Overview
- In-App Messages on iOS
- In-App Messages on Android
- Setting up Mobile Inbox on iOS
- Setting up Mobile Inbox on Android
- Customizing Mobile Inbox on iOS
- Customizing Mobile Inbox on Android
- In-App Message Animations
- Image Carousels in In-App Messages
- Testing and Troubleshooting In-App Messages
- In-App Messages Without the SDK
- API Overview and Sample Payloads
- Iterable's API Docs