To integrate online forms with a user's email and data into Iterable, you can do so via API or via Zapier. Several customers (including ourselves) use Zapier as an intermediary to connect their favorite apps to automate tasks without coding or relying on developers or an engineering team.
Please note that all data field types will be cast as a "string". Learn more about data field types in Iterable.
For this specific integration example, you'll need:
There are three high-level things you will do in this integration:
- Set up Facebook Lead Ads to send your form data to a Zapier webhook.
- Set up Zapier to catch that data, optionally manipulate it in some way, and send it to Iterable User Update API.
- Optional: Set up a static list of users in Iterable who came from the Facebook Lead Ads.
Here are the step-by-step instructions:
Create your Facebook lead ads form
- Make sure to include the email as a field in your form since Iterable keys by email and will use that to update the user’s profile.
In Zapier, make a Zap and set up the Trigger
1) For the Trigger, search for and select "Facebook Lead Ads. Note: Facebook Lead Ads is a Zapier premium app
2) New Lead is automatically selected. Click "Continue".
3) Connect to your Facebook Lead Ads account.
4) Click on "Test" to ensure that you're connected - a green "Success" button will display. Click "Save & Continue".
5) In the drop-down for "Page", select the Facebook page where you lead ads form will display.
6) Click on the form you had created in Step 1. Click Continue.
7) In the next step, click on "Connect & Continue", then you'll need to submit a test form or you can use Facebook's Lead Ads Testing Tool to submit a form with sample information.
8) You'll receive a "Test Successful!" in green will display ensuring that the form data was captured. If not, re-test to get another lead. Click "Continue".
In Zapier, set up the Action
1) For the Action, search for and select "Webhooks".
2) Select "POST" and click "Continue".
3) For the URL field, insert the API Request URL from the Update User API call
- You'll need to enter your project API key in the "Specify your api Key' field
- Enter an email address for email parameter
- Click "Try it out"
- Copy the url in the "Request URL" field
- Paste that url in the URL field in Zapier
4) For the "Payload Type", select "Json" in the drop-down.
5) For the Data, email is required.
6) Enter email in the left field and then select Email from the Facebook Lead Ads by clicking on the + icon.
7) For any other user data fields, enter `dataFields__name_of_field` in the left field. Then, for the value, you can either choose a field from your Facebook Lead Ad OR enter a value. Be sure to include double underscores between `dataFields` and the name of the field.
8) For "Unflatten", select "yes" in the drop-down.
9) Leave all other sections as is and click "Continue".
10) Check that the user has been added to your project in Iterable, by going to Users > User lookup > enter email address. If user has not been added to Iterable yet, click on "Re-test Webhooks by Zapier to get another post" to try again.
Below is an example of what the user data would like in Iterable.